Tuesday, July 12, 2011

1 Selfless Couple + 103 Abandoned Children = In-Step

Hello Friends!
Today we had the privilege to visit In-Step. This is a children's home that houses 103 beautiful children, all of whom we got to play with. Jeff and Carla (who are the house parents that started In-Step) house about 25 babies and the rest mainly under the age of five. As soon as we pulled up into the children's home, all of the children were there waiting for us screaming in excitement and anticipation to play with us. As soon as we were given the okay to go play, there were already three children clinging to my legs lifting there arms up to be held. At one point we took out bubbles and as soon as the first ones were in the air, the children flocked over and the next thing I know was I was surrounded by 10 toddlers all yelling the same thing. "Na mimi! Na mimi!" Was being said out of the kids mouth which means 'even me' as I tried to give each one of them a turn to blow bubbles. One child that really struck me was Ronnie. Ronnie was about three years old and even though the other children would come and move on to the next person, Ronnie clung to my side the whole time. I would throw him up and spin him around just watching his face as it lit up with joy. Thats when I knew how much I loved these children and bringing smiles to their faces, even if for a short amount of time. Ronnie was abandoned at six months, and his grandmother who was the next relative to take care of him was dying herself, so that's when she contacted In-Step. This is just one story of a 103 children in this home, all of which tares at your heart. When I brought Ronnie in for lunch, I could see his big brown eyes start to well up and I promised him I would come back when he was done. I didn't know how hard that was until I walked away and felt like I was a mother dropping her child off in daycare for the first time and might of had a little separation anxiety as well.
We left In-Step around two when all of the children were taking their naps and myself as well as two other teammates and Faith went into town to get a few things. Not too long after we got there and three street boys were already following us asking for money and food. Even though none of us had the money of food to give them at the time, we showed them love by asking their names and ages as well as where they stay. From then on they continued to walk with us until we left knowing we couldn't meet their physical needs but were able to spend time with them and acknowledge their presence. This trip has been such a blessing to all of us and it has been awesome to put what we've learned here into practice and I can't wait to bring this home.
For more information about IN-Step go to: http://www.rehemainstep.com/
In Christ,
Hayley Gerrard

No comments:

Post a Comment