Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Day of Rest & Reflection


So, it is Sunday morning in Kenya. Some of the team are off to visit a traditional Kenyan church and some have stayed behind at the compound for a day of rest and quiet. I chose to stay behind and sit in silence because I don't have a voice. I am so disappointed! I was hoping to wake up this morning with the ability to speak, but it has only gotten worse. It is hard to lead a team when you can't speak, but the team is doing great and people are stepping up where they need to.
As I sit here, I realize this trip has only just begun and the work the Lord is doing is far from finished. Having been here many times, I see some distinct differences this year. For several months I have been waiting for Friday to arrive, the ay when I would greet my Kenya girls from the Shimo project and the Neema Project. I adore them and the women who teach them and love them. I could barely stay in my seat during devotions when I heard some of them laughing outside waiting for us. They all responded so well to the team. I was sick and losing my voice, but I was not going to miss a second of time with them. The team rallied around them and played games and learned names. I met with Joyce (the seamstress teacher) to figure out a work plan for the week.
During my walk to town with Joyce, we had an opportunity to talk about life and family. She told me that I feel like a real friend because I keep coming back when I say I will come back. She said at first she always wondered if I would really return, but now she knows I mean what I say. Those were kind words coming from her. We shared about our families, she asked me about my new marriage....it was a time of chatting and sharing about life more than we ever have before. She asked me why I wanted the girls to make more bags and I told her that we sold out of all the ones we made before. I shared with her that we gave the money we made from the bags toward the construction project for the new school for the neema/shimo project. She began to share with that God will honor the work of the hands of those who have right intentions. She said that it would be hard to sell the bags to people if we didn't have right motives. I was able to talk with her about all of us being partners and each having a role to play. We talked about our love for the girls and the way their lives are changing as they choose a different path.
Those conversations with Joyce were a highlight for me. I am beginning to really feel like I have friends here in Kenya. I received bigger hugs than ever before. I saw pride and dignity on the faces of these young women who are given a name, who are taught respect, and who are learning to receive love. What an honor to be a part of all of this! It is a privilege to serve here with Transformed International. They are an incredible staff of men and women! They serve us well and allow us to partner with them in the work the Lord has placed before them.
Thanks to all of you at home who make this possible for me. I do not take a single day for granted! Thanks to all of you who have offered up your spouses, children, friends, family members to serve here and to those of you who provide funding and prayers to make it all possible. You are just as much a part of this work as those of us who are here in Kenya.
Hope you each find rest and are able to delight in simple joys today!

Faith (for the team)

No comments:

Post a Comment