Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Update from Seth

At the end of last years trip, Meredith, staff of Transformed International, asked the team if any of us would be interested in supporting a child through one of their food/school programs. Because I had spent the entire week seeing how much kids truly needed food, I quickly agreed and was given the chance to choose the child I would support. I chose Maron, at the time he was 7 years old. I was given the opportunity to go and meet Maron the following day. Marons mother had died a few years earlier due to sickness. However his father, Maron has never met. Now Maron lives with his grandmother, with his sister Selil and an older brother.
Fast forward one year and yesterday I was given the opportunity to go and see Maron. (Keep in mind the majority of those who sponsor kids rarely get to actually see the kid. So I have really considered this a blessing.)
Faith, Kristy, Brenna, Mark and myself went and visited Maron, Selil, and their grandmother. When we arrived Maron was out playing so his grandmother went to find him and we were left with Selil. Selil has a form of mental retardation where it has limited her ability to hear, see, and have proper use of her limbs. As the team was sitting observing her I had to hold back tears. I questioned over and over again why God would allow such a beautiful and innocent child to be born with such deficiencies. To me it just doesn't add up and has been something that I have continued to wrestle with.
Those tears quickly turned to joy once Maron and his grandmother returned. In came a boy, just 8 years old, who has maybe just the clothes on his back, with the biggest smile I have ever seen. And that smile quickly disappeared when he realized four "mazungoo"(white person) were staring right at him. You would be freaked out too!

We were able to ask Maron a few questions through Mark translating. He looked very healthy and is doing great in school. I truly have considered it a blessing be able to meet Maron face to face.

I really hope you that have followed out trip via this blog have felt like a part of this experience in Kenya. We really wouldn't be hear without your support both financially and through PRAYER. Thank you so much!!

In Him,
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment