Monday, June 7, 2010

From Kenya With Love

Love has changed my heart in Kenya. Specifically, the love that radiates from the children that Transformed International sponsors. To see a child with so little, embrace life with such joy is an inspiration for how I want to live my life. I did not know what to expect as I arrived in Kenya and by the grace of God have gained a valuable perspective on how living simply can enrich your relationship with our creator. Away from all the "noise" of my American lifestyle, God's direction has been much more clear and he has been challenging me to listen to him more and more. For instance, this morning, it was his will to have me travel to Matunda and Eldoret, but I really wanted to go with another group to visit a few children's homes. I decided to listen to God and I had wonderful Kenyan experience. First was a boda boda ride (which is a bike with a seat attached to the back) to Kitale to shop for one of Transformed Internationals families. It is not every day that I am one of two white people in an entire town, which is a little intimidating. Then, off to the farm land of Matunda on a Piky Piky (motorcycle). For those who have never been to this area of the world, most of the roads that we traveled on are dirt and filled with holes. It makes for a wild motorcycle ride. The countryside of Kenya is breathtaking, unlike the cluttered towns and cities. After we made our delivery, we got into a van and were overstuffed for a long bumpy ride to Eldoret. Out of the country into the city. I thought Kitale was intimidating. In Eldoret we had lunch and picked up a van full of scarfs to bring back to the states, where they will be sold to raise money for a home and school for a group called the Neema girls. I not only got to experience Kenya in a whole other level, but also got to get to know one of our Kenyan friend's, Derek, much better. Simplicity and listening to God are just a few things that I gained from this trip to Kenya that I hope to integrate into my life from now until our Father in Heaven welcomes me home.

May you all walk with God today and everyday, John

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing man and im so happy to be your friend, I cant wait till you get home and share everything that happened on your trip. I knew you all would come home a changed person and to just see Gods love first hand has to be amazing. I cant wait to one day be on a trip somewhere to share Gods love and grace with others. I am praying for you and everyone else there, see you soon John!! Lots of love Tracey K

    ReplyDelete